You are hereResources / Relationships and Legal Issues

Relationships and Legal Issues


Victoria Women's Transition House

Information about services offered including shelter, crisis line, counselling, groups and a resource list for women who have or had an abusive partner. There is also information about abuse and personal stories.

Hill House Transition House

250-479-3963 (24hours)

This is a temporary shelter and support base for women who are leaving abusive relationship. Food and shelter are provided for up to 30 days.

Legal Issues

Family Law Website

This website provides self-help information about family law issues such as divorce, separation, custody, adoption, child support, child protection and removal. There are also court forms you can download.

BC Families in Transition

(250) 386-4331

This website provides information on services available such as legal support and information and classes such as Parenting with a New Partner and Caught in the Middle. Free Legal Hotline (Tuesdays & Thursdays 8:30 am- 4:30 pm). Location: 812B Broughton

BC Familiy Maintenance Enforcement Program

toll-free in BC: 1 (800) 668=3637, Greater Victoria: (250) 356-5995

Program ensures the maintenance and enforcement of child support payments. You need to enroll with a filing kit, which can either be sent to you, or picked up at any court house, government agency or legal aid office. Takes 6-16 weeks for the program to become effective once you have applied.

Dial-a-Law Legal Information


Anyone can call for free legal information. The phone line has 4-6 minute long pre-recorded scripts on all kinds of topics.

Family Law InfoLine

1 (888) 3730-2222

Have a very thorough and informative website. They have information on everything from definitions on legal terms, to divorce and separation, to child protection and removal. They cannot give you personalized legal advice, but have a page of links that can help you find the legal help that is right for you.

The Law Centre

(250) 385-1221

The Law Centre provides advice, assistance and representation to clients who cannot afford a lawyer.  The service is free for anyone who qualifies for legal assistance.  Some of the services they offer include criminal matters, divorce, support and other family law matters, human rights complaints, civil disputes and hearings before administrative tribunals. Location: 3rd Floor, 1221 Broad St.

Legal Services Society- Legal Aid

(250) 388-4516

If you want legal advice or you need a lawyer and can’t afford it you can call them. They assess people in order to determine their eligibility for legal aid. This is a free service. If you qualify they will connect you with legal aid and help you make an appointment with a lawyer. They also provide an onsite legal information kiosk with computer access that allows you to research information on the law. Location: Suite 200, 747 Fort

Ombudsman of BC


If you have a complaint against agencies such as Income Assistance, MCFD, ICBC, BC Hydro, a college or a university, the Ombudsman can investigate your complaint.

Representative for Children and Youth

(250) 356-6710

Advocacy services and support for young people in dealing with the Child Welfare system, ensuring that voices and views are heard, and rights and interests are upheld in decisions being made about them.

Together Against Poverty


TAPS provides information, and advocacy for those having problems with Income Assistance, tenancy issues and disability assistance. Location: #302-895 Fort Street.

Vancouver Island Human Rights Coalition


VIHRC provides information and advocacy for individuals who have been discriminated against. In some cases they have advocated for parents whose children were removed by the Ministry of Children and Families. Location: #418- 620 View

Victoria Family Justice Centre


Can also call Enquiry BC for transfer to location nearest you: 1 (800) 663-7876

This service provides information and assistance to parents who are trying to find ways to resolve conflicts arising from separation or divorce. They offer short term counselling or mediation around parenting issues, assist parties with application to family court and help you prepare court-ordered custody and access reports. Location: #501-771 Vernon